Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year!

Hi. My name is Lindsey Lohan and I am an alcoholic! Oh wait, we are not at an AA meeting this is a weight loss blog. Right...weight loss. OK, My name is Karen and I weigh 201 pounds. Now if I was 6 foot 5 that might not be so bad. Unfortunately for me I am 5 foot 3. 9 years ago I was 140 pounds and was getting married to the love of my life. I could run for miles and loved hiking and doing things outside.
Well, I am happy to say that the love of my life and I just celebrated our 9th anniversary. We also have 2 sweet babies (no that does not include the giant German Shepard that makes me crazy!). Munchkin is 4 and a half and Little Man is 2 and half. In 2001 I had gall bladder surgery, in 2002 I had Munchkin in a natural (with epidural) birth. In 2004 I had Little Man with an emergency C-Section. In 2005 I had a back injury. One of my vertebrae was popped out to the side. Now it is the last night of 2006 and I have gained 60 pounds in 9 years.

This is a place I never thought I would be. I promised myself I would not get to this point. Although for as long as I can remember I was always the fat girl. Some of that must have been in my head but it was constantly reinforced. (doodla doodla doodla dream sequence coming on..) In 4th grade a girl came up to me and asked "Do you consider yourself fat? Because I do!" Looking back I have to think maybe she was a little jealous. I started wearing a bra that year and was developing a little faster than she was. By the time I was in 6th grade I was already wearing a size 10 shoes and was in an adult size clothes. I don't remember ever being smaller than a size 9. All of my friends in high school were smaller than me. They all played soccer and I was a musician that sat a lot to practice. When I went to college I was still a size 9. I spent the summer in Yosemite hiking and cleaning rooms and came back in really good shape. The entire time I was in college I was in decent shape. I had to walk everywhere and even trained for the Los Angeles Marathon. I didn't run it but I did train. Once Bobby and I got married the weight gain really took off. I just got fat and happy!

After seeing pictures of myself we tried the Weigh Down Workshop. I lost a few pounds but really didn't do well with the God hates me because I am eating when I am not hungry things. That is probably extreme but I couldn't handle feeling that much guilt. We then tried Prism. I lost quite a bit on that because you can't have white flour or sugar for 6 weeks, then you can add certain foods back in. I had a hard time staying away from white flour and sugar. Apparently I have no willpower. Once we moved across the country and I had my first baby I tried Weight Watchers. I have had no luck with these programs. But, I suppose it takes more than luck, eh?


I am hoping posting on this blog and having friends post with me that I will be motivated to lose this weight. I would like to lose 50 pounds this year. That sounds ridiculously high but that is only 1 pound a week. One of my goals for the year is to exercise more. I am planning to swim and walk the crazy German Shepard more often (even though I have to clean up her poop). A mini goal is 10 percent of my weight which would be 20.5 pounds. Maybe I can lose that by March. Instead of rewarding myself with a large steak, loaded baked potato, and chocolate cake maybe I will reward myself with a pedicure. That would be nice. :)


I think I am going to start with the points again because I know that works. Any supportive comments and low calorie meal suggestions would be welcome!
This is me in October at Pismo Beach....what? You were expecting a bikini? I will have to go on Oprah for that!

No comments: