Sunday, December 31, 2006

Looking back and Looking ahead

I have been asked by Karen to contribute to this blog. It is my hope that by doing this, I will get a handle on getting to a healthy weight for my body type and age. I also hope to inspire and to be inspired by other people's journey. We are all in this together.

I will be blogging from the point of view of an older woman. I am 54 years old and have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life. I presently weigh 239 lbs. I'm 5' 9 " tall. Looking back to when I was 19 years old, I weighed 155 lbs. That was a healthy weight for me, but my mother that was 5' 11" tall and weighed 120 lbs soaking wet constantly nagged at me about my weight because I was fat to her. I realize now that at the time my mother had an eating disorder and really thought she was fat. I'm not going to blame my mother for my weight problem because I am responsible for what I put in my mouth.

I will admit that I am an emotional eater and can find any excuse to eat. Including the fact that I really like food. It has been a big part of my life. I enjoy cooking and baking and sharing food with those I love. My grandmother was a professional cook and one of the ways she showed her love to us was by cooking our favorite foods and having big family dinners every Sunday afternoon after church. I have to find some way of disconnecting food and love.

Looking ahead, I know it's going to take some very hard work on my part. Tuesday, I will be joining Weight Watchers because I know the program works, if I work the program. I am also starting an exercise program because not only will it help to take off the weight but I have to get conditioned for a trip we are taking to Italy in June. I don't want to be left behind on the bus with an aching back, feet and legs while everyone else is seeing Michaelangelo's David.

Thanks Karen for giving me this opportunity to be part of this. I know we can be successful if we help each other along.

1 comment:

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

If it helps to post your points you can do that each day! I have already used up 11 of my 24 for the day. oops...